Stay informed of transactions on your account
You can get alerts for a range of events on your Smart Account. You decide what alerts you’d like to receive, and how you’d like to receive them.
Life is busy. You can check on your Smart Account anytime and anywhere online or via the Smart Account App, but sometimes you forget. Smart Account Alerts is an easy way to stay informed of transactions on your account so don’t have to worry about checking your balances all the time.
You can get alerts for eight different events:
- Money paid in
- Paid direct debits
- Failed direct debits
- New direct debit added
- New payee added
- Scheduled payment paid
- Scheduled payment failed
- New Smart Account message
We’ll send you alerts by email, SMS, or to your online account.
Too much information? No problem.
It’s up to you if you want to receive alerts by email, SMS, or to your online account. You can simply turn them off if you don’t want them by logging on to your Smart Account online or through your Smart Account App. Your online alerts will still be there to tell you what is happening when you log on to your Smart Account.
It’s easy to get caught up in the moment and get caught off guard. The Smart Account Alerts are there to let you know what’s happening with your money. It’s like having an electronic bookkeeper watching over your finances so you don’t have to.
- Stay Informed You’ll have confirmation that expected transactions have happened.
- Stay in Control You decide how you want to receive alerts.
How to Get Started with Smart Account
Setting up a Smart Account is quick and easy:
- Apply online now or pick up an application form in any Post Office.
- Alternatively you can download an application form. You may open an Individual Account and/or a Joint Account. Multiple accounts are not permitted.
- Bring your completed application form and proof of identity documents to your local Post Office.
- Your Smart Account Welcome Pack will be posted to your home address and will arrive within 5 to 7 working days of receipt of your completed application form.
- On receipt of your Welcome Pack, sign the reverse of your card and call 01 705 8000 to activate your card.
You must be at least 16 years of age and a resident of the Republic of Ireland to apply for the An Post Smart Account. A credit check is not performed and your credit rating will not be affected.
Once your account is activated, getting online is fast.
- Select the ‘Register’ button at the top of the page
- Enter your User ID number from the Welcome Letter.
- Create your 5 digit Self-Select Online PIN.
- You will receive a PIN confirmation text on your mobile phone to enter online.
Finished! You can now start using Smart Account online.
Manage all aspects of your Smart Account online or if you are on the move via the Smart Account App. The An Post Smart Account App is free to download on the App Store® or on Google Play™.