A Current Account
Smart Account makes it easy to take charge of all the payments you need to make, however you prefer to pay.
For example, you can put money aside for bills or an upcoming special occasion with Account Wallets, preparing you in advance for the extra expense. An even smarter feature is our exciting MoneyBack feature, which allows you to get MoneyBack into your account by simply using your Smart Account at selected Smart MoneyBack partners. It’s MoneyBack into your pocket!
The An Post Smart Account Debit Mastercard issued by An Post.
A Debit Card
Say hello to your new Smart Account Debit Mastercard! The An Post Smart Account is a current account with a dedicated BIC and IBAN and a Mastercard Debit Card issued by An Post. Your Smart Account Debit Mastercard gives you instant access to your money so you can make a payment or withdraw money whenever and wherever you need.
You can use your Smart Account Card:
in more than 1,000 Post Offices nationwide,
in shops and at ATMs,
over the phone,
with a mobile app,
The Smart Account Debit Mastercard is accepted at millions of locations worldwide wherever Mastercard is accepted.
The Smart Account Debit Mastercard supports contactless payments. To make a contactless payment, you simply hold your card over the terminal in store.
Set up direct debit payments to be deducted from your An Post Smart Account and make recurring payments hassle-free. A direct debit is an instruction from you to your creditor, typically a utility provider. It authorises your creditor to collect payments from your account when they are due. It’s an easy and convenient way to pay household utility bills, mobile phone bills and mortgage/rent payments with your pre-authorisation.
How does it work?
The creditor you will be making the payment to will provide you with a direct debit mandate form. (Some creditors allow you to authorise direct debits by phone or online.)
- Complete the mandate form, and return it to the creditor.
- On the agreed date(s), the creditor will send a payment request to debit your account, and An Post will forward the payment electronically, provided you have funds available.
- With your Smart Account, you have the flexibility to set up as many direct debits as you need. You can also decide whether you would like your direct debit to be paid from your main account or a Wallet. You’re in charge! Know your direct debit rights
You can arrange to have money paid into and out of your Smart Account. That means that instead of standing in a queue, you can go do… whatever you want! Credit transfers make it fast and easy to receive and send money, giving you more time to enjoy.
Smart Accounts from An Post have an International Bank Account Number (IBAN) and a Business Identifier Code (BIC). An Post is a member of the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) Credit Transfer Scheme so you can send and receive credit transfers throughout the SEPA zone.
An example of some of the payments you can receive by credit transfer to your Smart Account are:
- Salary Payments
- Children’s Allowance
- Pension Payments
- PayPal Payments
Transferring money from your Smart Account is easy! You just need the recipient’s IBAN number.
To set up a new payee and make transfers from your account:
- Log on to your Smart Account online.
- Choose Make a Payment from Quick Actions.
- Select New Payee and enter the payee’s IBAN.
- You will receive a text message to your mobile phone with an authorisation code.
- Enter the code.
- Select the amount, date and frequency of the payment.
Take charge of your finances the smart way and enjoy maximum flexibility with the Smart Account from An Post.
How to Get Started with Smart Account
Setting up a Smart Account is quick and easy:
- Apply online now or pick up an application form in any Post Office.
- Alternatively you can download an application form. You may open an Individual Account and/or a Joint Account. Multiple accounts are not permitted.
- Bring your completed application form and proof of identity documents to your local Post Office.
- Your Smart Account Welcome Pack will be posted to your home address and will arrive within 5 to 7 working days of receipt of your completed application form.
- On receipt of your Welcome Pack, sign the reverse of your card and call 01 705 8000 to activate your card.
You must be at least 16 years of age and a resident of the Republic of Ireland to apply for the An Post Smart Account. A credit check is not performed and your credit rating will not be affected.
Once your account is activated, getting online is fast.
- Select the ‘Register’ button at the top of the page
- Enter your User ID number from the Welcome Letter.
- Create your 5 digit Self-Select Online PIN.
- You will receive a PIN confirmation text on your mobile phone to enter online.
Finished! You can now start using Smart Account online.
Manage all aspects of your Smart Account online or if you are on the move via the Smart Account App. The An Post Smart Account App is free to download on the App Store® or on Google Play™.