Smart Account offers you a clever tool for budgeting – Wallets. Wallets empower you to control where your money goes. You can put your money in a Wallet to make sure it is used for exactly what you want.
Your Smart Account includes two Wallets to help you manage your money. Once you put money in a Wallet, it is set aside for the purpose you chose. You decide what your Wallets are for and how much money to put into them. You can use your Wallets for anything you like – holiday savings, insurance payments, emergency money, birthdays, medical expenses or anything else you need to budget or save for.
Account Wallets are designed to help you make sure the money you need for one purpose doesn’t get accidently spent on something else.
How the Account Wallets work:
- Log onto your Smart Account, and select Wallets from the quick menu. Just follow the instructions to create and name your Wallets.
- Payments go into your main account by default, and you can transfer funds to your Wallets as you wish. You can also schedule the Wallet transfer from your main account for regular payments.
- You can setup your outgoing direct debits to be paid from a Wallet or your Main Account.
- Or you can choose to use a Wallet to save up for a big expense.
- You can also make other payment transfers directly from a Wallet back to your Main Account.
- Your Smart Account can have up to two Wallets.
- You can access your Wallets online or via the Smart Account App.
Account Wallets give you more control over your finances.
Once your money is safely in a Wallet, it won’t be deducted for any payment you haven’t arranged to have paid from that Wallet. The Account Wallet gives you more flexibility to customise your account to meet your individual needs.
You’re in charge. It’s up to you if you want to use your Wallets for budgeting, saving or any other purpose. Set up one-off or regular transfers to and from your main account to Wallets, allowing you to manage your payments online.
How to Get Started with Smart Account
Setting up a Smart Account is quick and easy:
- Apply online now or pick up an application form in any Post Office.
- Alternatively you can download an application form. You may open an Individual Account and/or a Joint Account. Multiple accounts are not permitted.
- Bring your completed application form and proof of identity documents to your local Post Office.
- Your Smart Account Welcome Pack will be posted to your home address and will arrive within 5 to 7 working days of receipt of your completed application form.
- On receipt of your Welcome Pack, sign the reverse of your card and call 01 705 8000 to activate your card.
You must be at least 16 years of age and a resident of the Republic of Ireland to apply for the An Post Smart Account. A credit check is not performed and your credit rating will not be affected.
Once your account is activated, getting online is fast.
- Select the ‘Register’ button at the top of the page
- Enter your User ID number from the Welcome Letter.
- Create your 5 digit Self-Select Online PIN.
- You will receive a PIN confirmation text on your mobile phone to enter online.
Finished! You can now start using Smart Account online.
Manage all aspects of your Smart Account online or if you are on the move via the Smart Account App. The An Post Smart Account App is free to download on the App Store® or on Google Play™.