Anyone aged 16 or older and resident in the Republic of Ireland can open a Smart Account at their local Post Office. It’s quick and easy. All you need to do is complete the application form and bring your proof of name and proof of address documents. You may open an Individual Account and/or a Joint Account. It’s the smart way to open an account.
How exactly do you open a Smart Account with An Post?
- Apply online now or pick up an application form in any Post Office. Alternatively you can download an application form.
- Bring it along with your EU driving licence, Passport or Public Service Card and proof of address document to a participating Post Office. Your proof of address can be a household bill, bank statement or correspondence from the Revenue Commissioners or Department of Social Protection issued within the last six months. If you use your Public Service Card as ID, please also bring your birth certificate to verify your date of birth.
- Within 5 to 7 working days, you will receive your new Smart Account Debit Card and Welcome Pack by post at your home address.
- Call 01 705 8000 to activate your card and receive your PIN.
- Your Welcome Pack will also include your BIC and IBAN so you can arrange to receive and send payments.
- Once your card is activated you can then setup Smart Account online services by visiting smartaccount.ie and clicking the ‘Register’ button. Once registered online, you can download the free Smart Account App which can be used on both iOS and Android devices.
Opening your Smart Account is easy and convenient. And having a Smart Account will make managing your finances easy and convenient too. With all of your financial needs and demands met in one payment account, it’s the smart way to manage your money.